Tuesday, June 08, 2004

The Debate Over Reagan's Legacy

One thing that bugs me about all this talk about what legacy Ronald Reagan will leave behind is that it's increasingly partisan. Many on the right view him with iconic status (similar to the FDR worship by many on the left) and because of such, they refuse to hear anyone criticize any of his policies. I have friends on the right who call him a hero and the "greatest president ever" and friends on the left who say he was the worst ever. So, which is it? I don't think I am qualified to say. I was only 2 years old when he left office.

Anyway, Christopher Hitchens is a highly respected figure among those of us who believe he gets "why we fight" and can articulate it better than most anyone else. That's why it saddens me to hear that because he wrote a piece very critical of Reagan that he'll never be read again by Caerdroia.