Friday, March 19, 2004

The Coming of Iraqi Democracy

Yes, I know he's a dirty neo-con, but Paul Wolfowitz, the Deputy Defense Secretary, writes about the importance of the mission the United States has undertaken in Iraq. If Iraq becomes a moderate and secular society, it will be a model to the entire Middle East. I don't give much credibility to those who say that democracy cannot exist within Iraq. I think that the "grand experiment" will succeed once the terrorist threat to their society is permanently eradicated. I think history will vindicate (or condem) the Bush administration as a great and decisive leader next to the likes of Harry Truman or a foolish idealist next to Woodrow Wilson.

One year later and the question is repeatedly asked: Are the Iraqi's better off now or not?

I'd like to think so, but honestly, only an Iraqi could realistically answer that question (apparently, 56% of them think they are better off).