Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Making the Case for...

There's an election in a little over 3 months from now and I'm split on who to vote for. Neither candidate interests me much at all anymore. Now, I was a solid Bush supporter for much of the past 2 years, but in the past few months he's been making it harder and harder to support him in his re-election bid. The most significant reason I've become disillusioned with him is because he has failed in the most important task as President: communication. When I see war supporters denouce their views because we didn't find WMDS or a definite al-Qaeda connection, I ask "what happened to you?" What was done that caused you to turn against the war? They basically say that they no longer know why they are there or why we went in the first place. And in all honesty, I've been apart of that group too from time to time. It's so frustrating having to almost daily explain your rationale for war when most of it Bush never stated as his rationale. And beyond that, the security situation in Iraq shows no sign of improving between now and January. Yet, I am still a hawk. I still support the war because I do believe in the cause and I believe that a moderate state will eventually emerge.

In my previous post, I wrote about how fundamental the Iranian nuclear issue was in this campaign season. What's Bush's policy? What's Kerry's? I refuse to believe that our hands are so tied that we can't do anything. We are the most powerful country in the world, there are many more avenues we can use to disuade Iran. Maybe we just don't want to. Bush, knowing the level of hatred people have for him and the Iraq War, doesn't want to forge a new agressive policy on Iran. We are in a long, hard, and tedious war against ideas that breed terrorism and injustice. That is more important than an election. But obviously, Bush wants to hold onto the presidency more than he wants to win this war.

The next post will be about Kerry and the possibility of voting for him.