Sunday, March 21, 2004

Political and Moral distinctions

For most of my life, I considered myself a hardcore democrat, with all that that entails. However, the core of my beliefs was a visceral hatred of fascism. I believe that every citizen of this world has a right to basic, inalienable rights of freedom and equality. I felt at home within the Democratic Party because I thought they best reflected my own ideas. My view of the world was shaken on September 11. I decided soon after to immerse myself in history and politics to better understand just why these horrendous acts had taken place. Interestingly enough, I had been following al-Qeada ever since they bombed the USS Cole in the summer of 200, so there was little doubt in my mind, as to who the perpertrators were.

Something that shocked me even more then the collaspe of the World Trade Towers was that fact that many on the Left rationalized the attacks and said that the United States got what they deserved. This showed a monumental lack of sympathy and downright ignorance. Those who continuely spout off how globalization has caused billions of people to be malnurtioned and the fact that the US intervenes where it has no business, as the root causes of terrorism are only partially correct. Terrorism breeds in societies where dissent is ruthlessly stiffled and the people are poor due to their leaders hoarding all the money. But the threat that the free societies of the world face from al-Qeada is different.

Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri are both millionaries many times over and they grew up in the rich communites of Ryadh and Cairo, respectively. Many on the Left asked right after 9/11: "Why do they hate us?" Quite frankly, they hate us because we are free. They hate our decadent lifestyles and most importantly, the fact that women are equal within our society. I agree with Roger Simon that seeing that Muslim woman executed in the soccer stadium by the Taliban, really clarified for me why the War on Terror was a just cause. This is going to be an epic struggle akin to the ones we have fought against Fascism and Communism and who knows whether the scourge of Islamofascism will take 6 or 60 years to defeat, but it will be defeated.

But unfortunately, our current political system hinders any progress that has occured in the War on Terror. Many on the Left are simply apoligists for terrorism and some even go so far as to call it a farce. I felt abandoned and decided begrudgingly that there was no longer a place for me within the Democratic Party. But equally difficult, I could not complete the transformation and switch to the Republican Party, for my values don't line up with theirs. Therefore, I am stuck in limbo. I am, when it comes down to it, a single issue voter. And I think that this coming election is the most important one we've had in several decades. For if we lose this War on Terror, nothing else will matter.