Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Debate

Sorry about the lack of posts this week, I've been really busy with school and other things.

I'm currently working on a post regarding the ongoing crisis in the Sudan that should be up tomorrow, or Saturday at the latest.

But tonight is all about the debate between President George W. Bush and his Democratic challenger John F. Kerry. For a political nut like myself, this is one of the biggest nights of the year for me. Taking a look at the always-useful, Electoral-Vote.com, we see that as of today Bush is beating Kerry 280 to 254 (270 electoral votes are needed to win the presidency). The media has been portraying Bush (surprisingly) as a master debater who is going to wipe the floor with Kerry recently. But remember, before the 2000 debates, the media said that Bush was an idiot and couldn't possibly beat Gore, but afterwards, the media proclaimed Bush the victor. Could the same thing happen this time around, only reversed? Time will tell. But both campaigns are seeking to lower expectations about their candidates a lot.

Matthew Dowd, a Bush adviser, called Kerry "the best debater since Cicero."
Which I think is one of the funniest things I've heard this entire campaign. While Clinton administration vet and current Kerry adviser said that Bush "has never lost a debate that I know of." Ah, fun times.

Not only will this debate most likely determine the next president of the United States, but it will also solidify in my mind who I can better trust to carry on the WoT and who can protect us best at home. yes, going into the debates, I am still quite undecided. My support for Bush has been wanning the past week or so, but I'm still leaning towards him, about 60%-40%, I'd say. I'll have more thoughts after the debate...